Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Nearly 3 months and struggling

Hi all, 

I lost my dad almost three months ago. 

My dad was best friend and I spent a lot of time with him.  He died having suffered with a drink problem for sometime.  This was the most contributing factor.. 

I just wondered who else out there has been struggling with physical symptoms. I thought after the first 5 weeks or so they would go away but I almost feel worse after 3 months.   

My breathing at times is hard to control.  I get a shortness of breath, respiratory problems, unwanted thoughts in my head, aches, pains, brain fog... Sometimes a different symptom everyday. 

Just wondered whether anyone else had been feeling similar.. 

I don't think I've dealt with this very well at times.  

Thanks all ... Big love. Dan. 

• Like 1

Hi Dan. I'm so sorry to learn of the death of your dad just 3 months ago. You are still very early in your grief journey, so it's not surprising that you're still feeling bad ~ if not worse ~ at this point. This is when all that initial shock and disbelief has gone away, and you're now faced with the harsh reality that your dad is gone and never coming back. This is why we usually encourage people to wait 3 to 6 months before seeking support from a grief group, since this is when all the symptoms you describe are more likely to appear.

I invite you to read the following, in hopes that doing so will help you better understand what you're feeling and what you might do to manage your symptoms: 

Grief: Understanding The Process

Physical Reactions to Loss

Anxiety and Panic Attacks in Grief

Voices of Experience: How Grief Can Affect Your Health

In Grief: Finding Support in A Group

• Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 11:47 AM, Arohk__ said:

I lost my dad almost three months ago. 

My dad was best friend and I spent a lot of time with him.  He died having suffered with a drink problem for sometime.  This was the most contributing factor.. 

I suffered physical symptoms when my husband died 19 years ago, I'm glad to say they disipated in time after being under doctor's care.  This is one of the single most difficult things to go through...

I hope you'll continue to come here to read and post.  Know you are not alone.