Grief Healing Discussion Groups

New Paths, or Paths2

I have put this on here before.  I must be entering my second childhood, because it spoke to me.  In my childish imagination, I feel Billy wants to talk to me.  I imagine I hear his voice sometimes, perhaps I do, I do not want to even think I don't.  We are all doubting Thomas's at one time or another.  My faith is not yours.  Your doubt is really part of mine, so I cannot deny that.  I have not had a Revelation.  I don't read the book of Revelation in the Bible because it scares the bewillies out of me.  And, as my daughter shuttered, I hate waterbugs.  Well, these water bugs are little bugs  that live in water, not the big black kind Billy used to shoot off the wall of his tiny shotgun house in the tiny town he lived in. (With a BB gun).  No bathroom.  He slept in the kitchen.  He did not have a bathroom until after we were married.  I miss Billy the Kid so much.  I do want the faith of a child.  This is my faith, not pushed on anyone else.  But, I can share mine.  

From ‘Waterbugs and Dragonflies’ by Doris Stickney.  Down below the surface of a quiet pond lived a little colony of waterbugs. They were a happy colony, living on the bottom of the pond far away from the sun. They did notice that every once in a while, one of their colony would suddenly climb up the stem of a water-lily and disappear from sight. “That’s funny! Where do you suppose she went? Wasn’t she happy here?” No-one had an answer; they were greatly puzzled. One waterbug had an idea. “The next one of us who climbs up the lily stalk must promise to come back and tell us where he or she went and why.” “We promise,” they said solemnly. One Spring day, the very waterbug who had suggested the plan found himself climbing up the lily stalk. He broke through the surface of the water and fell onto a broad, green lily pad above. He couldn’t believe what he saw; a startling change had come over his old body. His movement revealed four silver wings and a long tail; he had become a dragonfly. Swooping and dipping in great curves, he flew through the air. By and by he lighted on a lily pad to rest and chanced to see his old friends, the waterbugs, far below him. He remembered his promise. Without thinking, he darted down and hit the surface of the water and bounced away. Now he was a dragonfly, he could no longer go into the water. “I can’t go back,” he said in dismay, “but even if I could, the waterbugs would never recognise me in my new body. I’ll just have to wait until they become dragonflies too and then they’ll understand what happened to me.” The dragonfly winged off happily into his wonderful new world of sun and air. a time to weep and a time to laugh “To everything there is a season and a time for every purpose under heaven Ecclesiastes 3:1,7,8 a time to mourn and a time to dance”

dragonflies2.jpg

• Upvote 2